Home Page

Sunday, October 23

Manahel

The last survived Fijeh. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . At museum

After the success of supplying Damascus with the fresh water of Ein Al-Fijeh at the Ottoman period in 1908, the coverner, Nazem Pasha, ordered to establish a watering-place in every market and quarter of Damascus to let people drink for free, it was called “Manhal” later on, the name changed to “Fijeh”. People used to send their children or their maids ,if they were rich, to bring them water using clay jars that was called “7ouqq”.These kinds of Fijeh don’t exist nowadays, and the word Fijeh got the meaning of drinkable clear water, so when someone asks “Is this water Fijeh?” he undoubtedly means is it drinkable!

9 Comments:


  • water was for free, now you can't find them. and if you find water from some sabeel ... you read al fatiha ..
    but you can't drink cause the water is prisoned .. and the glass is not clean !

    By Blogger Majd Ayoubi, at 23/10/05 2:15 AM  

  • Now is that the same thing of "el-6ale3"?

    By Blogger Sinan, at 23/10/05 3:57 AM  

  • I'm learning something new here:)

    By Blogger I Feel Good, at 23/10/05 5:14 AM  

  • i rememebr when we used to live on Dommar in the late 80's we used to go to alfijeh to get drinkable water to the house

    By Blogger مترجم سوري, at 23/10/05 9:21 PM  

  • I remember when my mom used to complain that water in Homs, didn't live up to the quality of Fijeh water.
    Later when we moved to Damascus, I started to notice the difference.

    And majd, you reminded me of the word sabeel. I haven't heard that one in a while..

    By Blogger x, at 23/10/05 11:34 PM  

  • i remember when we used to live in KSA one of our neighbors who couldn't come back here for political reasons!...he asked us once to bring back with us from here some Fijeh water n' we carried a 20L gallon all the way from Damascus to Madina...he got teary eyes when gave it to him n' he swears there's nothing else like Fijeh water...good one Ghalia!...

    By Blogger Sharks, at 24/10/05 2:15 PM  

  • lol I remember once that I was in lattakia standing next to a water tap and asking someone if it was fijeh or not ... I meant if it was drinkable of course.. but hell no .. he didnt know what i was talking about

    By Blogger GraY FoX, at 25/10/05 5:57 PM  

  • I agree with u Majd.

    Sorry Sinan, I’ve never heard of the word "6ale3" before! I don't know what is it!

    I don't know if u agree with me but, the flavour of “Al-Fijeh” water doesn’t taste the same, it only taste chlorine, sometime it tastes like a syrup or medicine!

    Apple4me, I’m happy u learnt something new, you’re welcome.
    No One, Omar, Sharks and Gray fox, thank u for dropping by:)

    By Blogger Ghalia, at 26/10/05 11:08 AM  

  • I only knew manhal before :)

    By Blogger M!R@CHK@, at 29/10/05 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top