Home Page

Monday, March 14

Apamea

Apamea is located on the right bank of the Orontes river about 55 km to the north west of Hama. It overlooks the Ghab valley and was built by Seleucus Nicator, the first king of the Seleucids in Syria in 300 BC. The city flourished to an extent that its population numbered half a million. In the Christian era, Apamea became a center of philosophy and thought. Most of the uncovered ruins in it date back to the Roman and Byzantine ages. When I was there, I couldn't stop thinking, how was this ruins inhabited once in the past! But I could hear their footfalls, voices, and anthems...

5 Comments:

  • This is the same thing I was thinking about, and I bet it was one the wealthiest civilization in Syria especially cause of Al-Ghab valley.

    By Blogger Sinan, at 14/3/05 8:45 PM  

  • Congrats Ghalia on a wonderful blog.. the cocktail of pics is very nice.
    Keep it up

    By Blogger x, at 15/3/05 4:11 AM  

  • That was the day I didn't have a camera..but that's another story.
    What I regret most is not photographing the outlandish landscape in Sarjilah and ElBara.

    By Blogger ألِف, at 21/3/05 1:36 AM  

  • It looks alot like palmyra am confused here. is it palmyra? Damn am from there so thats the only place i know with ruins and actually go there to visit relatives LOL.mmmm i don;t live in syria so excuse my ignorance(Kuwait). so thanks girl for the photos they make m so happy and proud, proud proud. wonderful

    By Blogger pstpst, at 22/3/05 2:34 PM  

  • no this is not Palmyra, I didn't visit it yet, inshallah one day I'll do, but this one is Apamea, just close to Hama.

    By Blogger Ghalia, at 22/3/05 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top