Home Page

Sunday, April 3

Tanour Bread






One of the most beautiful songs ever written Oummi (“My Mother”), the lyrics of the song are based on a poem by Mahmoud Darwish, and for sure Marcel Khalifeh a great gifted composer and singer performs this great song, although it is believed that the song is dedicated to Palestine, there is no obvious reference to it in the verse, but I think that “my mother” refers to anyone homeland not specifically to Palestine, it could be anywhere and any country.
I yearn for my mother's bread
and my mother's coffee
and my mother's touch
and childhood grows within me
day upon breast of day,
and I love my life
because if I died
I'd be ashamed of my mother's tears...
Aaaaah of my mother's tears.

As a veil for your eye brows
and cover my bones with grass
that has been baptized in the
purity of your heel
And tie me to you
with a lock of hair
with a thread that trails
in the train of your dress.
May be I'd become a god,
a god I'd become
if I touched the depths of your heart

Mother... mother.. Mother...
Put me, if I didn't return,
as firewood in your stove,
as a clothesline on your rooftop,
for I have lost resolve
without your prayer, your daily prayer.
Aaaaaaah.... Aaaaaah...

I have grown old
so bring me back the stars of childhood,
that I may share with the young birds
the road of return
to the nest of your waiting.

Mother... Mother... Mother...

To hear this song and many other songs of him Click here.

10 Comments:

  • I miss mom. :(

    By Blogger Sinan, at 3/4/05 2:52 AM  

  • Yummy! Looks delicious!

    By Blogger Dina, at 3/4/05 10:22 AM  

  • Great post Ghalia.. Did you translate that your self?

    By Blogger x, at 3/4/05 9:40 PM  

  • Wow, Ghalia. This is the first time I visit your blog and I'm really impressed!! The pictures are absolutely stunning and you know your history! I love the shrak pictures, really nice. Keep it up! I'm enjoying it and remembering all the trips to Syria.

    By Blogger Roba, at 3/4/05 10:42 PM  

  • good one Ghalia :) i would like 2 c u soon :)

    By Blogger M!R@CHK@, at 3/4/05 11:13 PM  

  • Ghalia.. guess what I'm listening to right now?
    Ghalia by Kathem
    I love that song!
    Sorry for the randomness

    By Blogger x, at 4/4/05 1:54 AM  

  • Omar, handas-eh, whats wrong with randomness?

    By Blogger Roba, at 4/4/05 11:54 AM  

  • hi all, and thanx 4 ur comments:)
    Omar, no this is not my translation.
    roba, u r welcome, and nice to meet u:) i also like ur blog...

    By Blogger Ghalia, at 4/4/05 12:49 PM  

  • randomness sometimes leads to confusion

    By Blogger x, at 6/4/05 5:07 AM  

  • I remember a place where my parents sent me to find tanour bread, i think it's at the entrance of Bloudane, am I right?
    anyway it's delectable, lol!
    nice post

    By Blogger Unknown, at 25/4/05 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top